Friday, July 11, 2008

Walls that Speak and a Man Without Shoes


I started my day with a trip to the Science Museum. Maybe CoSci has spoiled me, but I was just a little disappointed. I thought there would be more interactive exhibits, but there were just a lot of text blurbs and models behind glass, which was cool for the first hour or so. I'll admit that the "Who Am I?" exhibit about all of the things that make us who we are was really nice and I could have spent forever there. It was highly interactive (although half the machines weren't really working right) and I think, in the end, that was its downfall.
What I learned at the Science Museum today: Don't go on school field trip day. The place was overrun with kids aged 7-17. Now I like kids (for the most part when they're not in that preteen stage of obnoxious where no one matters but them and they're overwhelmingly rude most of the time) but in this case every time I came across an interesting interactive display some little kid darted past me and began to play with it, whether or not they understood what they were doing.
I think if it had been less crowded I would have enjoyed myself more, although I probably would have continued to compare it to CoSci.
One positive, however, I found nestled away in the back corner of the first floor. It was a modern art exhibit called The Listening Post and if you find yourself in South Kensington with a spare moment, I highly recommend checking it out. I won't say too much, because I'm sure it holds a new experience for each listener/watcher but for me, I just stood there feeling moved by the message in the digital art and "music." One reviewer described the sounds being Philip Glass-like, and I'll attest to that quality. If you're interested in all at modern art and/or music or are a person who is moved by depth-ridden displays of humanity, this is the thing for you to see.
My late afternoon/evening was spent wandering London at my leisure, where I made my way to two different, but beautiful churches somewhat off the beaten path. On my way back to the tube I passed a man wearing no shoes or socks nursing what looked to be a bottle of champagne or white wine. As I walked down the sidewalk he called to me, his voice thickly British, "Hey, Sister, are you all right?" To which I smiled and shrugged and said, "Yeah. I'm good."

JD

No comments: