Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Walk of 10,000 Theatres


I'd like to start by saying: I freaking love Mozart. But more on that in a little bit.
I say above 10,000 theatres and am not above admitting that this may be exaggerating a bit. I believe the correct number is 40... Which still equates to 3 hours of walking. By 2pm we were glad for a break and the chance to finally eat a much anticipated meal, although I did learn a lot. It was an interesting an informative tour... It also happened to point out the fact that London is now playing EVERY musical I've wanted to see for a long time now. Not to mention The Royal Opera House didn't have the promotional poster of Le Nozze di Figaro that I really really want to buy.
Le Nozze di Figaro!!! Yay, Mozart!
Now when you think opera you, like me, probably think of cushy chairs and balconies: A large stage with a phenomenal cast and upwards of 600-1,000 dollars to attend. That's exactly what I was thinking as I told myself over and over again while we were walking through the Royal Opera House that 157 pounds is too much for a ticket to see an opera. Even if it is Mozart. (Hey, I'm a college student!)
Fast forward to me at 7pm watching the curtain drawing for the start of Le Nozze di Figaro, indulging in the melody of Mozart's opening overture. The girl behind me ate her Greek wrap and open a can of Fosters as the servants bustled about on stage. A pigeon wheeled its way upward past my line of sight and shifted in attempt to find a more comfortable position. An inflatable plastic seat cushion is the only thing between my butt and the cold stone. No, I'm not in the Royal Opera House watching from a few feet as these masters of music wow the audience with their skills. I'm am in Trafalgar Square, near the heart of London, outside with what I would later learn was 8,000 people watching Le Nozze di Figaro (mind you it was running live from the Royal Opera House at that exact time) on a giant screen erected right in front of Nelson's Column.
The anticipation and excitement was the same, however, as Trafalgar Square laughed with the audience of the ROH and heard the same celestial voices as the audience at the ROH. Even though we knew the actors couldn't hear, we clapped when the ROH clapped and watched the events of Figaro's wedding day unfold. Thanks to BP this was available to the insanely affordable price of free, all an effort to bring the art of the Royal Opera House to the people of England (there were screens in, I think, seven other locations across the country).
So maybe I wasn't there, when Susana sang in her sweet soprano voice, or as Cherubino wooed the Countess with his song, but I was there and got to share the moment with thousands of other people, of all ages, background and stature, and got to affirm my love of the musical prodigy that is Mozart.
I also learned that Ildebrando d'Arcangelo is ridiculously good-looking. :-)

JD

No comments: