Sunday, July 20, 2008

Lost in a Department Store



I went to Harrods today. To be honest I went a little nuts in the gift store, but none of it was for myself, so I figure it's okay. People told me that Harrods was a grand place, and I'm not saying that I didn't believe them, but they were absolutely right. I didn't spend too long inside (about an hour) but I could have spent many many more just exploring and looking amusedly at all of the things I could never afford to buy.
Mostly I loved the ladies clothes department. It was separated into mini departments by style, designer and where the designer is from. Each section was split by a two-foot long, sound-barrier archway and each section was playing a different kind of music. I began to gage my progress by what I was listening to on the radio! I also started trying to associate the clothing with the music style. Why were the super discounted international items being showcased in a room playing Pavarotti and other classical masterpieces? Why was Avril Lavigne playing in the land of Ralph Lauren?
Like I said before, I like the gift store best of all. Mostly because I figured it was the best place to get gifts from London, and it was having the biggest sale of all the departments. I just hope my family doesn't mind getting gifts stamped with the logo of a department store.
Don't ask me how much I spent there.

JD

No comments: