Thursday, July 17, 2008

Hatchards


I told my professor I was on a quest for a book by my favorite author.
He said to me, "If you're going to go book shopping, go to Hatchards. It's the best bookstore in London."
Today I went to Hatchards, and he was absolutely right.
I walked through the glass doors and immediately my eye was caught by ceiling-to-floor shelves of books. Books were everywhere: In front of me, to both sides; corners upon corners of stories both old and new. In the middle of the room is a spiral staircase that goes down one flight and up three more! Every level has its own check-out desk with its own cashier and a map in case you lose your way in the aisles. Okay, that's going a bit too far, but each section (which are split by floors) has an extensive list in front of each new corner telling you exactly which kinds of books you'll find should you dare to venture.
Everything is black and very classy and felt very comfortable, as though I could have been standing in my grandfather's den. I could have spent all day there, perusing and wandering. The problem is if I did I would find an enormous pile of books to buy and come out completely broke!

JD

No comments: