Monday, July 14, 2008

A Midsummer's Night

To be honest I went into a bit of hermit mode today. What with all of the touring and wandering we did last week (and I did this weekend) it was kind of nice to just hole up in my flat and spend the day being lazy. I just chilled out, read a little bit and watched some videos online. When evening finally came I ventured out of my hobbit hole and met up with the class and our professor. The agenda? Dinner at the George Inn followed by A Midsummer's Night Dream at The Globe.
Dinner was fantastic (and on Ithaca College) and we sat around the table having a nice chat while we ate, drank and made merry. It was something to think that we were sitting in a corner that Shakespeare very well may have frequented while pondering works and writing sonnets. The waitress was cheerful, the mood was light and (since we were eating dinner in London at 5:15pm) it was as if we had a whole floor of the pub all to ourselves.
After dinner we wandered the winding roads towards the South Bank of the Thames. It was there we took our seats.... Err... Rather benches, in the lower gallery of the theatre; Luckily we were spared the privilege of being groundlings and standing for three hours (although if we had we would have gotten a T-shirt). The show was great (it was the first time I had seen it) and it was so amazing to watch the performance in a venue intended for the showing of it.
Afterwards we walked across the Millennium Bridge and paused midway to look out across the river that would have been moonlit had it not been a cloudy evening, and just talked, enjoying the cool air. The city around us glittered with light and I looked at buildings I had seen before, and some I was sure I hadn't, but want to. We ended our Monday by grabbing a bus in front of St. Paul's and sitting in the very front of the top deck, where we could watch London as it passed by our window.

JD

No comments: