Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Tower of London


Today was my first full day in London. I thought that I would be facing a huge culture shock, but in reality the thing I'm most excited about is the fact that the Coopers aren't mini (they have FOUR seats!!!). In all seriousness, though, it's strange to come here from the place I've always called "home" and feel like I fit right in. It doesn't feel strange or new to me, it just feels... Well, right. Either way my voice teacher was right. I want to live here after I graduate.
Anyway, today was our first full day here and we went to the Tower of London. Walking across the square on Tower Hill I have to say: Even though it was flanked with tourists (I suppose like myself) who were chattering away and going about their business, there was a profound silence in the background of it all; Like if you stood still long enough and listened, you might just hear something whispering to you. There was something romantic about the place; Not in the love and mush sense, but in the original sense when the word simply meant "a story."

JD

No comments: