Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Sky is Bluer in the Carolinas

It's a legendary saying that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. These old adages are seldom to be taken literally, but I realized today, that when you know in your heart you want to be a certain area in particular, all of the colors of the world seem a little brighter.
But I guess I should start with the beginning.
There's a lot you can do in a 12-hour car ride, especially when you're driving a "soccer mom" style van filled to the brim with boxes and suitcases on January 1st. You can write stories in your head; you can imagine relationships with people you may or may not know, putting each of you in a situation and pondering what the outcome may be; you can think about the people in your life that you care about, and the people you care about that aren't really in your life; you can ponder what you're planning to write later in your blog; and you can think about what you've learned about yourself and the world around you that you want to take and use to shape the brand new year you're facing the dawn of. I hope I'm not the only one who does this, because it's how I spent the better part of the day traveling from Columbus, Ohio, to Summerville, South Carolina, to help my cousin with the big move that will start her new life.
On a drive like this, it's important to observe the scenery. It's a gorgeous drive once you get in the mountains, the tree-covered hills rising up into the sky like a fuzzy blanket spread across a bed without being smoothed down after. The dips and falls captivate your attention: The way the sun and shadows play across the landscape, the town nestled in a valley just to your right.
The entire ride anticipation was building inside me to get to the one place I had been waiting to go since October: The Carolinas. It's my hope to someday make my future in one of the cities there and for the next two and a half weeks I will be adventuring to find my niche in their embrace.
The first thing I learned on my car ride to South Carolina: The sky really is bluer there.

No comments: