Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Paradise is 75 Degrees and Sunny

So a busy handful of days have passed, coupled with a flakey internet connection I was left with little way to update on my adventure.
To start off, as I stated before I feel in love with the Carolinas the moment my feet crossed the border into North Carolina. The weekend that ensued involved a lot of heavy lifting and unpacking of boxes, but by Monday most of the house was set-up and ready to be lived in. However, don't think that this was an easy task.
The very first night we had to stay in a hotel because there was no power in the house (a COMPLETELY spider-infested house I might add) because the property overseers didn't prepare the house to have the electricity turned on. The next morning, sun shining and full moving truck parked out front, Sara's mother went to work vacuuming spiders while the rest of us moved everything inside. This was how the next two days went, with bouts of cleaning in between the unpacking and unloading.
Then on Monday the upstairs toilet flooded while we were all out, which leaked through to one of the downstairs bedrooms and soaked the carpet running into the bedroom and the stairway. So between plumbers and ceiling repairmen and carpet cleaners we've had to spend a lot of time waiting around the house for people to show up and fix things.
But today we did get to go to the aquarium, and I can always find appreciation from a good aquarium. This one was decent. I've been to aquariums that I liked better, but this one was very nice. Sara and I spent an hour or two exploring the exhibits and got a nice little lunch from the cafe and had a nice time. And they had a baby sea turtle which was adorable. And otters. I love otters.
Right now as far as future living places go Charleston, SC, is winning by a landslide (granted I haven't been anywhere else yet). The weather here is fantastic, and I've found that even on cloudy days the sky is beautiful. There's a smell of water in the air everywhere and the atmosphere feels like the beach, which is one of my most favorite places in the world (the beach, that is). It would be extremely easy for me to get used to this kind of weather all the time (even the heat) and even now I'm not looking forward to returning to the frozen tundra that will be Ithaca, New York.

No comments: