Monday, January 12, 2009

Time Flys By in the City of Lights

I should apologize for my lack of posting these past few weeks. In certain places of my adventuring there is an alarming lack of internet available on my computer and I'm left diving at any free chance to use someone elses in a free moment.
On Saturday I went to Charlotte, NC, and had one fact confirmed: Charlotte is big.
It's also a city, and after I managed to unfluster myself from driving through it to get to a parking garage (I don't know if I'm ready to tackle city driving yet) I was able to spend the morning self-touring a beautifully designed city on a 60-degree and sunny day. I looked around at the architecture, soaking in the magnificent design of the buildings around me, and even got to go and see the Bank of America Stadium (where the Carolina Panthers call home) up close. And it was game day. But more on that later.
The thing that struck me about Charlotte (and mind you I had been warned by my voice teacher) was that everyone really was friendly. The women working in the Visitor Center were unbelievably helpful in finding me brochures on attractions, as well as a pamphlet for leading myself on a walking tour. Not 30 minutes after I left the building I was hit on twice and every time I passed someone and happen to not be smiling the would look at me and say, "Now where's your smile today, Girl?" or some derivation of the phrase.
In the bustling city there were plenty of small peaceful alcoves, beautifully designed and arranged, where a person could get away for a minute and almost forget that they were surrounded by skyscrapers and traffic. One little park, called The Green, was a little novella-themed patch of greenery taking up probably an entire block between two buildings, with allusions and references to great authors and their works of literature at every turn. On this particular Saturday there was also an ice-skating rink set up where people could throw on a pair of blades and skate together in the sun.
I must have wander the city for some 3 hours before I finally stopped to get something to eat and rest my legs for awhile.
Then at 2pm the people disappeared. The traffic died to barely a trickle and businesses began to close all around me and the activity of the city moved to a select parking lot nearby where I had parked. The game was in 6 hours and it was time for tail gating. Tickets were being scalped, merchandise was being sold, and Panther fans from all over gather together to grill and drink and get riled up for the football game. Having friends in North Carolina and being so conveniently located in the action I made some calls to see in anyone was interested in catching the game, but work is a cruel beast and it prevented anyone from being able to make the drive. It was probably for the best, since God only knows how much a person would have to pay for a ticket.

No comments: